Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Digital Switch

For many, the TV switch from analog to digital last summer meant nothing. Most Americans subscribe to some form of cable service, so the change over was pretty much irrelevant. However, there are those who still pray that the rabbit ears wrapped in aluminum foil will make the picture clearer, and for them, the switch meant total darkness.

As discussed in class, 98% of US citizens own at least one television. However, only 94% of Americans subscribe to some form of phone service, cell or land line. This information leads me to believe, although I have no firsthand experience, that the small percentage of Americans that can't afford phone service did not purchase the digital converter box needed for the analog to digital transition. I do know that when the switch happened, some 2 million Americans with televisions were left in the dark. I've heard that the government was offering a coupon for the converter box, but I can't recall seeing any sort of information on how to obtain that coupon or where to get the boxes for that matter.

My point? I think that with many Americans still shunning new technology or without the funds to embrace it, the digital TV conversion most likely left people without entertainment, or more importantly their window to the world. While I enjoy the clearer picture, I know that lots of people are now without television service. I think that the switch alienates those without the education, formal or otherwise, to understand it. While I haven't personally witnessed any severe backlash because of the digital to analog switch, I'm positive it's out there and that there are a large number of people without that link to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment