Sunday, February 28, 2010

Video Editing for Consumers

With Youtube becoming increasingly more popular, the average person recording, editing, and publishing video has become a common occurrence. As a student in the communications field, I personally feel it is extremely important to know how to at least edit video. It is quite possible that I'll one day be in charge of managing website content and nowadays a website without some kind of embedded video is pretty much pointless.

The role of shooting and editing video at home is rapidly becoming more popular among my generation. The film Napoleon Dynamite was shot on a minuscule budget, and edited in the director's home using a $6,000 Macintosh and the program Final Cut Pro. This film grossed over $40 million in the United States.



As far as for personal use, home video is everywhere. My Blackberry takes pretty decent video and I will video my friends and me in funny situations and then have the ability to immediately post it to Facebook or Twitter. Celebrities often update their Twitter accounts or websites with video blogs, making their fans feel appreciated and connected. I think that personal home video is actually connecting people in an amazing way. Three of my best friends live in Chicago, and when I post a funny video, they have the sensation of experiencing that moment with me, even though we're not together.

No comments:

Post a Comment